Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Mel's Weekly Top 20 - 3/22/09



Neko Case sings her latest hit "People Got a Lotta Nerve" (currently at #8 on the Weekly Top 20) in this week's video showcase feature. The song is from Neko Case's new album Middle Cyclone. The video was recorded for QTV.

The list below contains 20 of my favorite current tracks that are playing on my iTunes and iPods. These are some of the songs radio should be playing if they're not already.

Rank Song Title - Artist - Last Week

1. No You Girls - Franz Ferdinand - 3
2. Working On A Dream - Bruce Springsteen - 1
3. Poker Face - Lady GaGa - 4
4. My Lucky Day - Bruce Springsteen - 2
5. Gives You Hell - The All-American Rejects - 5
6. Magnificent - U2 - 8
7. Time Lapse Lifeline - Maria Taylor - 9
8. People Got a Lotta Nerve - Neko Case - 11
9. Still Have My Heart - Caitlin Crosby - 7
10. Get On Your Boots - U2 - 6
11. I'm Not Over - Carolina Liar - 17
12. Is Anybody Out There? - The Downtown Fiction - 18
13. Natalie - The NuRu - 15
14. The Rake's Song - The Decemberists - 14
15. Boys With Girlfriends - Meiko - 13
16. Just Dance - Lady GaGa - 16
17. My Life Would Suck Without You - Kelly Clarkson - 10
18. California - Shannon Hurley - new
19. The Fear - Lily Allen - 12
20. Good Days Bad Days - Kaiser Chiefs - new

I found several new tracks on TheSixtyOne.com that I'd also like to feature today. Click on the player links below to listen to these wonderful new tracks.



Shannon Hurley's "California" makes its debut on the Weekly Top 20 at #18 this week. It's a wonderful new track by a talented and largely undiscovered singer. I read she is popular on MySpace.com.



The NuRu's track "Natalie" is a longtime and largely ignored fixture at TheSixtyOne.com. I think this is a terrific song that in some ways reminds me of a Hootie and the Blowfish track with underpinnings of The Corrs' "When the Stars Go Blue" in song structure.



If there was a song that paid tribute to the late George Harrison, this could be it. Darrin Kohavi's voice reminds me of the late George as he cites The Beatles and the late Jim Croce as his musical influences. He does a good cover of Croce's "Operator" and has released an EP a few weeks back. This is a song that I am certain will reach my Weekly Top 20 soon.



Chanel Campbell's track "Cry Cry Cry" should be a radio standard someday. It is newly discovered and not too many people have heard it.

Frankly all 4 tracks should be regular staples on adult contemporary radio.

No comments: