Friday, February 7, 2014

Flashback Friday: The Beatles - The Night That Changed America



FLASHBACK FRIDAY on Mel's Internet Universe Music Blog

50 Years ago this weekend The Beatles made their U.S. Debut on CBS TV's "The Ed Sullivan Show". They sang 4 songs on that first show including "All My Loving," "She Loves You" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand" the latter being the #1 single in the U.S. at that time.

I was a kid when The Beatles debut on "Ed Sullivan". I remember watching with glee as they sang their songs, shook their heads and got the audience filled with screaming girls all fired up. It was something. They sounded great on our console style, Zenith black and white TV. My Dad shook his head in mild disapproval over their hair style.

I remember watching The Beatles subsequent appearances on "Ed Sullivan" several more times (I was a young fan now), and still my Dad never liked them. I remember him telling me, "I don't like them because they were not Americans". So what? The music was great.

My Dad was not a big fan of rock n roll music and preferred big band, jazz and Hawaiian music. Funny thing is a few years later I remember watching a TV concert featuring Creedence Clearwater Revival and he liked them. My Dad also liked Elvis when he was doing the Las Vegas thing in his later years.

One thing for certain. After seeing The Beatles on TV for that first time many years ago, I became a fan and have listened to their music continuously for many years now.

This weekend CBS will be doing a Beatles retrospective commemorating their first appearance on "Ed Sullivan" on a special this Sunday night called "A Night That Changed America: A Grammy Salute". The show will feature contemporary artists covering a range of Beatles songs including Stevie Wonder, Maroon 5, Alicia Keys and Keith Urban. The two surviving Beatles, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr will also appear on the program.

It will certainly be a show that Beatles fans will watch and reflect on 50 years of history. Should be great.





The original audio on this clip was overdubbed with the studio version of the track.


No comments: