After 3 weeks of being stuck at #2, Shinedown finally breaches into the #1 position with their rock anthem "Second Chance." This song is about as good as rock music gets these days. The song is more than a year old having been released in September 2008. Since I don't listen to much mainstream radio these days, the song was totally off my radar until it was featured on a talk radio show as bumper music. I got wind of it and purchased the track in early August of this year. It made the top 20 the same week I got the song.
"Second Chance" is the 2nd single released from Shinedown's album The Sound of Madness. According to the Wikipedia, it was the last song Casey Kasem played on his final American Top 40 radio show before retiring.
Embedded videos from YouTube.com may be removed without notice by their respective publishers or the YouTube.com service itself.
MEL'S WEEKLY TOP 20
Week of October 11, 2009
1. Second Chance - Shinedown - 2
2. Never Forget You - Noisettes - 1
3. The Other Side - AM - 4
4. Celebration (Album Version) - Madonna - 3
5. People Are Crazy - Billy Currington - 6
6. City On Our Knees - Tobymac - 8
7. Fallin' For You - Colbie Caillat - 5
8. Heaven Can Wait - We the Kings - 9
9. She's Got a Boyfriend Now - Boys Like Girls - 10
10. Say Hey (I Love You) - Michael Franti & Spearhead featuring Cherine Anderson - 13
11. I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas - 7
12. Bourgeois Shangri-La - Miss Li - 16
13. Bulletproof - La Roux - 20
14. We Are Golden - Mika - 15
15. Next In Line - Meese - 14
16. Sweet Silver Lining - Kate Voegele - 19
17. 21 Guns - Green Day - 11
18. All The Right Moves - OneRepublic - new
19. Honey In The Sun - Camera Obscura - 12
20. Don't Upset The Rhythm (Go Baby Go) - Noisettes - new
MORE CHART NOTES
Billy Currington makes it into the top 5 with his country hit "People Are Crazy." It's a good song and would be a great crossover hit into AC and pop music radio.
The Noisettes who had last week's #1 hit, "Never Forget You" slip to #2, but also enter the chart with their dance oriented single "Don't Upset the Rhythm (Go Baby Go)" which was a huge hit in the UK peaking at #2. It debuts this week at #20. Both songs are from the Noisettes new album Wild Young Hearts which was finally released in the U.S. late last month. It has been sold in the UK since April.
The fastest mover in this week's chart is "Bulletproof" by LaRoux, which climbs seven points from its debut at #20 last week to #13 this week. I like this synth based alt dance track. Could be a good top 10 hit soon.
TOP 10 OLDIES OF THE WEEK
As submitted to Plannine's Classic Top 30
1. We're An American Band - Grand Funk Railroad
2. The Air That I Breathe - The Hollies
3. Just Like Heaven - The Cure
4. Soley Soley - Middle of the Road
5. Imagine - John Lennon
6. Tuesday Afternoon - The Moody Blues
7. Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
8. The Lonely Bull - Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass
9. Take a Letter Maria - R.B. Greaves
10. Crocodile Rock - Elton John