Saturday, February 21, 2009

Super Oldie of the Week

I've been a music fan for nearly all my life. It started when I got my first transistor radio from an uncle. My Dad also had a friend that ran a jukebox business. Every once in a while (this was back in the mid 1960s) he'd unload a bunch of old 45s at our house, which I promptly listened to on our old phonograph stereo.

Those old 45 rpms included tracks by Elvis Presley, Shirley Ellis, The Beach Boys, Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs, Brenda Lee, Clarance Carter, The Four Seasons, Gene Chandler and many others. The old Sony radio that I got from my uncle opened me up to a whole world of rock n roll music by those screamin' old disc jockeys on top 40 radio. It was fun listening to the old thing back in those days.. The Beatles, Rolling Stones, and many others from the British Invasion, Motown and the rest of the pop music world blared out of the tiny AM radio speaker.

As I grew older and into the early 1970s, I became a regular purchaser of 45 rpm and 33 1/3 record albums. I amassed a large collection of singles and record albums that continue on to this day with CDs and digital music.

I like listening to many of the old songs that were played on the radio and 45s. Since I grew up in Hawaii, many songs in the 1960s and 70s were unique hits to the islands... we had traditional Hawaiian music, contemporary Hawaiian music and a lot of regular rock n roll records that came in from the mainland and abroad which became hits on local Hawaii radio stations. Often what would be a hit in Hawaii were unheard of on the mainland.

To start of this series of Super Oldies of the Week, I will feature a track that was a minor hit in Hawaii and in other places on the mainland.

Back in 1973 a little known group called Circus released "Stop Wait Listen" on Metromedia Records. It was a minor radio hit. I recently found this track posted to YouTube from "Music Mike's Flashback Favorites" page. Here is Circus and "Stop Wait Listen" for you to listen to in its entirety complete with commentary from the video's creator.



Also here are the songs that I voted for this week to Plannine's Classic Top 30 page.
  • 1. The Lord's Prayer - Sister Janet Mead
  • 2. La La La La La La - The Blendells
  • 3. Beyond the Clouds - The Poppy Family
  • 4. New Year's Day - U2
  • 5. Jennifer Eccles - The Hollies
  • 6. My Hawaii - The Rascals
  • 7. You're Only Lonely - J.D. Souther
  • 8. All the Tea in China - Susan Jacks
  • 9. The Name Game - Shirley Ellis
  • 10. Stop, Wait, Listen - Circus

No comments: