Mel’s Weekly Top 20
Week of November 29, 2009.
This Week - Song Title - Artist - Last Week
1. Bad Romance - Lady GaGa - 7
2. Fireflies - Owl City - 2
3. The Golden Age - The Asteroids Galaxy Tour - 1
4. Don't Upset The Rhythm (Go Baby Go) - Noisettes - 5
5. Meet Me Halfway - Black Eyed Peas - 3
6. All The Right Moves - OneRepublic - 4
7. I Keep Falling - Lovers and Poets - 8
8. Russian Roulette - Rihanna - 9
9. I Heard of a Girl - Miss Li - 11
10. Bulletproof - La Roux - 6
11. This Is It - Michael Jackson - 10
12. Need You Now - Lady Antebellum - 16
13. Second Chance - Shinedown - 13
14. East Jesus Nowhere - Green Day - 15
15. Again - Flyleaf - 18
16. Hell - Tegan And Sara - 12
17. Welcome To The Future - Brad Paisley - 19
18. It's Your Life - Francesca Battistelli - 20
19. Blame It On The Girls - Mika - new
20. The Sweetest Thing - Camera Obscura - new
Lady GaGa leaps into the #1 position in its third week on Mel's Weekly Top 20. The song made its debut 2 weeks ago at #15, shot up to #7 and is now at the top. What can I say? The song has a great hook, a wild video (see video) and in the parlance of the old "American Bandstand" show, "you can dance to it". It's the perfect song for a sizzling hot, bad date.
Due to Lady GaGa's jump to #1, the top 5 is scrambled with a hold, a bump and two falls. Holding at #2 is Owl City and "Fireflies". I thought this would go to #1, but now I doubt it. Asteroids Galaxy Tour fall from #1 to #3 with "The Golden Age" and Black Eyed Peas fall from #3 to #5 with "Meet Me Halfway." I like the song enough to give it some hope of moving it back up. Speaking of up, the only other song that moved up in the top 5 is Noisettes' "Don't Forget the Rhythm (Go Baby Go)" nudging up a point from #5 to #4. The song was a huge #2 hit in the UK earlier this year.
Elsewhere not much to report. Mostly incremental moves up and down the chart in the lower positions. Interesting to note Michael Jackson's "This is It" may have lost momentum having peaked at #10 for the last 2 weeks, and now drops a point to #11. We'll see.