Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Young Rascals



THE YOUNG RASCALS

The Young Rascals were a very popular rock n roll band in Hawaii from the mid 1960s to early 1970s. They are well known for the #1 hits "Good Lovin'", "Groovin'" and "People Got to Be Free" as well as a number of other top 40 hits including "How Can I Be Sure", "Come On Up," and "You Better Run." They received extensive AM top 40 radio airplay in the day that went beyond their hit singles. Several of the Rascals' album tracks and B-sides became huge local hits and were listed on Hawaii radio charts. Album and B-side Rascals' hits included "Mustang Sally," "SueƱo", "A Place in the Sun," "Almost Home" and "My Hawaii."

"My Hawaii" is probably the Young Rascals' most popular song in the islands. It topped several radio station charts in the 1960s and early 1970s compilations. The track is on The Rascals' album Once Upon a Dream which also features the hit single "It's Wonderful". For years the album had been out of print until it was re-issued to CD in 2007. "My Hawaii" is also available on the compilation CD Uncle Tom's Top Twelve Hits which was released on CD in 1998.

"My Hawaii" was covered by the local band Fabulous Krush in the early 1980s.

In recognition of "My Hawaii" being a local hit, I have been voting for it to appear on Plannine's Classic Top 30 Chart for a few weeks. It's #1 on my latest Top 10 submitted to Plannine's. That chart is posted below:

SUPER OLDIES OF THE WEEK - TOP 10 SINGLES

1. My Hawaii - The Rascals
2. Nights Are Forever Without You - England Dan & John Ford Coley
3. Oh Boy! - Buddy Holly
4. Jennifer Eccles - The Hollies
5. Orinoco Flow - Enya
6. New Year's Day - U2
7. La La La La La - The Blendells
8. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - Gene Pitney
9. Arms of Mary - Sutherland Brothers & Quiver
10. We're Free - Beverly Bremers

LISTEN TO "MY HAWAII" ON THIS RADIO STREAM

You can listen to "My Hawaii" by the Rascals on my 8tracks.com Classic Island Hits of the 60s & 70s webstream. This is a 10 song streaming playlist that includes "My Hawaii" among other Hawaii based tracks from artists such as Cecilio & Kapono, Kalapana, Summer, The Sweet Marie, Don Ho and others. Just click the play button below to access the stream.



ADDITIONAL LINKS

No comments: